Sunday, June 5, 2016

Two Weeks to Go!

Yesterday (Saturday) when I woke up, my first thought was "two weeks until race day!" Then, all sort of nerves took over my body and mind the whole entire day. I just couldn't shake out the nerves! I kept scrolling through Instagram and seeing other people running Grandma's Marathon posting awesome 14 to 18 mile runs, and I thought, "crap, I'm only running two 10-mile runs this weekend. I'm going to fail!! Those people are better than me!!"

Then, I took some deep breaths and tried to relax. Those people are awesome, but my plan, the plan I chose and trust, has two 10-mile runs this weekend so that's what I was going to do. And I did! Yesterday's run was cool, rainy and super easy paced. Today's run was warm, sunny, super windy and I pushed the pace more than yesterday on the faster end of my "easy pace" runs. Both were fine runs, but if I could choose, I'd much rather run in cooler, cloudy weather!


My taper doesn't officially start yet. With Hanson's Marathon Method, you keep up the intensity with speed work and tempo runs this week so I don't really think about "taper crazies" until after Thursday's 13 mile run! I think that's a good thing because two full weeks of running less mileage would drive me insane! I still have 55 miles scheduled for this next week, which is perfect for me.

I've already started weather stalking thanks to my neighbors. Currently the forecast calls for 83 degrees high and sunshine. Ummm, Mother Nature, that's a little too warm for marathon day! I would like to order up 50 degrees, clouds, I'll even take raindrops if I must! I'm trying not to freak out about it. Yet. Give me time, I'll get there! This week is supposed to be super warm, like 90 degrees, so I'll plan on trying to acclimate a little bit better to the heat. Make sure to carry water and TailWind Nutrition with me to get used to taking that in during hot runs. I can't control the weather, just prepare myself the best I can!

This week I ran 56.6 miles including easy runs, speed work, hill work and tempo miles. I felt pretty good (other than my nerves yesterday) on each run, and managed to keep up weights, core and/or legs 5 out of the 6 run days! I definitely feel a lot stronger this training season than I have before thanks to having a gym in my apartment building and making time to use it! Now I just need to figure out if I should keep up with weights these final two weeks or phase it out to solely devote my energy to running and recovery.


Hope everyone has enjoyed their Sunday Runday!

Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment