Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Marathon on My Mind

It's been so long since I did this whole blogging thing, I think I forgot how to do it! I feel as if my blog had no purpose or direction so I just let it go. However, I do like to write and want to inspire others and thought I would re-open Pink Cupcake Runs again!

My third marathon is less than three weeks away (I'm running Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN) on June 18th. I'm a mix of emotions - excited, anxious, nervous, worried - but I feel as ready as I can be at this point. The Hanson's Marathon Method worked so well for me last year and I hope to have success again this year! I do sometimes think the mileage I log is a little crazy, but I do not feel as if I'm overtraining. I know people are worried about that, but I think I'm balancing that line pretty well.

May miles = highest monthly mileage ever!

Often times I think the hardest part of training for me is nutrition. Food is something I ALWAYS struggle with in my daily life and seems to get even more difficult for me while training. I do not want to gain weight, but I also need to ensure I'm eating enough, and enough quality food. Not that I'm eating junk, I just eat a lot of salads, but I can't run my best on salads alone! I try to tell myself to keep it simple - just eat food that makes me feel good and run a lot of miles. Hopefully it will work itself out, otherwise I need to hire a nutritionist!

Currently I'm only signed up for this upcoming marathon and I don't know what I'm doing after that. This is bothering me so much! I know I want to run more races, but I'm not sure when or what. Budget is a big issue for me so I can't run all the races. Luckily, I love to run regardless of races, but I do wish I could race more!

Last year I ran the Red, White and Boom half marathon on July 4th, but I wasn't exactly ready for that two weeks after a full marathon. I loved the course though and am wondering if I should do it again. I also really, really want to run a 50k and challenge myself more. I found one in Wisconsin that looks amazing for my first ultra marathon, the North Face Endurance Challenge, but I'm being a chicken and haven't signed up yet. I also want to run the Whistlestop Marathon in October to try for a Boston Qualifying time, but still haven't signed up for that.

Mostly what I'm worried about is how much can my body handle? Can I do two full marathons in a year (both big goal races) along with a 50k? Will my body (and mind) handle all that training and sacrifice? I know some people run multiple marathons in a year, but I just don't know how they do that. Training is basically a part time job. At least that's how I approach it. Unless I can dedicate all the time to run all the miles, plus keep up strength training, I'm not going to do it. My mind doesn't allow me to run a race "for fun," but to do better, aim higher, train harder each time. I really need to make some decisions!

I do know that for right now I'm loving training. I love running and enjoy most every run, even the runs I struggle through because I know each run is making me stronger and I can't wait to get to that starting line in 17 days!


Until next time ~

4 comments:

  1. Glad to have you blogging again! It's good to be nervous. Enjoy the marathon and then see what you want to do next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I do think I'm waiting until post marathon to make any decisions about what's next, but I feel like I NEED something else on my calendar! I love training so I'm sure I'll do a fall race!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back friend! So excited to read about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Steff! I really appreciate it! Now I just need to keep blogging.

      Delete