Monday, February 24, 2014

I Lost My Voice

I know, I know .... I haven't posted in a very long time. Since I ended my running streak back in January. Ouch. 

I've just felt lost lately. Haven't known what to post or if anyone really cares. I started to feel as if I was annoying everyone with my running obsession. Especially those people on Facebook. So I just started to shut down, not knowing what to say anymore.

I lost my blogging voice. 

But, I haven't lost my passion to run. Through this tough, incredibly cold, long winter, running is keeping me sane. It's helping me feel alive and happy through these darker days.


I am in training for my first marathon that will be on June 1st. It still amazes me to say that I'm going to run a marathon! I ran my longest run EVER this weekend and it felt great! I was intimated to run 14 miles because, well, I never ran that long, but it went so much better than I thought. I, of course, got tired, but not so tired I wanted to quit. Just where I needed to stretch my legs a little bit as they were feeling tight toward the end and I fueled along the way trying to figure out what works best for me. And the miles will only go up from here! Honestly, I'm very excited about that. Yes, seeing 20 miles on my training plan excites me!!

Cold Stone = yum!!

I did switch training plans this past weekend. I was using the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 plan, but it was wearing me out. I would run 6 miles on Saturday, then a longer run of 10+ miles on Sunday, and cross training Monday, then back back to running Tuesday through Thursday. That was just too many long runs in a row for this newbie. I kept feeling tired, pains in my Achilles and knee, and dreaded those long runs not knowing how I would get through them. I knew something had to change. 

I switched to the Runner's World plan for first time marathoners. I now will rest on Friday, long run on Saturday and a shorter, easy run on Sunday. I think that's much better for me! I will still follow the same schedule of cross training Monday, run Tuesday through Thursday, but I shouldn't dread those long runs anymore! And since I love long runs, I don't want to be too tired to enjoy them!

Coming up soon is my second half marathon in just a few weeks! I'll be running the Get Lucky Half Marathon on March 15th. Exciting!! I would love to run it in under two hours, but that's shaving off seven minutes off my last half, in the winter and cold, and I'm not sure if that's a realistic goal. I'll set a Goal A and a Goal B for this race like I did for my first, but haven't figured them out yet.

So that's where I've been. Mostly at the gym running! I'm going to try to get back into writing and finding my voice again. I enjoy reading other running blogs and find them inspirational, and I'm hoping a few people will find mine inspirational as well. I want to share what I'm learning, my pains, my growth and just my general love for running. 


And of course puppy pictures!!

No leash needed when you have a snow fence!

Until next time~ 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your highest miles ever! It sounds like marathon running is going well (especially when you can have Coldstone afterwards!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going pretty well! Some issues, but hoping switching training plans will help with those. Cold Stone was so good! I promised a friend I would take her for her birthday and two months later we made it!

      Delete