Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014: A Year To Be....

Happy 2014!
My year started off with a super chilly 10k run at the Polar Dash in Minneapolis! This was actually my first 10k and for how cold it was, I'm super happy with my results. I finished in 58:10, keeping my goal pace of 9:22/ minute. I will admit that this was a very painful race at first with frozen feet, but once my feet thawed, I had a fun run. The course was great with hills for the first three miles, then mostly downhill for the last three. I should have just kept going for the 14 mile race; maybe then I wouldn't have gotten so cold afterwards waiting for my friend to run the 5k! But oh well, a race is in the books for the year already. A race is a great way to start out 2014!!




Now I'm not one to make resolutions on New Year's. I probably did last year, but I couldn't tell you what they were without looking. Resolutions are things that are forgotten by February usually and I choose to set goals throughout the year instead.

This year, I do have quite a few running goals. Surprise, surprise! 

First, I signed up for the Run This Year Challenge. You choose to run either 2,014 miles or kilometers throughout the year. (You can also set your own running goal.) I signed up for the kilometers, which is 1,251.4 miles and averages to 24 miles per week. Totally doable for me since I've been averaging 32 to 35 miles currently. I might still go for the miles in the end, but we'll see!




Second, my goal is to run 14 races in 2014. I would need to find a race a month, plus two months run two races. I'm going to start planning out my race calendar this weekend! And I already have one done!!

Third, I want to run three half marathons and my first full marathon in 2014. I think I already have all these races picked out - I'll do half marathons in March, July and October and my full marathon in June.

Other than those goals (with plans and deadlines going in place!) I have no resolutions. However, I did see this that intrigued me ...

“My One Word” is an experiment designed to move you beyond [the resolutions] cycle. 
The challenge is simple: lose the long list of changes you want to make this year and instead 
pick ONE WORD.

This process provides clarity by taking all your big plans for life change and narrowing them down into a single focus. 
Just one word that centers on your character and creates a vision for your future.

So what's my one word that will shape 2014?



Why fearless?
Well, in part it's because I know I need to not be afraid of running my first marathon. I need to tackle those training runs and that big race without fear. I can't back out because I get afraid of the daunting mileage. I need to be fearless.

Also, I think I'm afraid of many things in life. Things I don't usually talk about on here....
I'm afraid of dating and how that would change my life. I will admit, I'm afraid of letting someone into my world again.
I'm afraid to speak up often with my work. To speak up for what I want.
I'm afraid to do things on my own like going to see a play, get dinner, etc. because of what people might say about me. I'm getting better, but I still spend most nights at home and am stuck in a rut.
I need to approach these things with a different attitude and be fearless.

So that's what I'm going to focus on more this year. Running, of course! :) And take more chances, step out of my comfort zone more and just be fearless.

Do you make resolutions? Or have any running goals like me? What would your "one word" be?

Until next time~

3 comments:

  1. It's great that you want to step outside of your comfort zone and be fearless. I think we need to embrace life and just take a chance because otherwise we'll just end up leading a dull life. And it is so fantastic that did the run - well done! I wish I could do that but I suppose it is upto me to make it happen.

    I too will be trying to break out of my comfort zone this year and I know it is not going to be easy. I am want to be fearless too. I know that breaking of my comfort zone will probably mean I have to do stuff that makes me feel uncomfortable and I know this will probably sound really really crazy but as challenge so that I can learn to deal with being uncomfortable I will be keeping my underwear in a wedgie for a day day and not adjusting it. I know you must think I'm crazy but hey, what better way to be uncomfortable than with a wedgie and I'm hoping the experience will help me to venture out of my comfort zone in other areas of my life.

    Happy new year and I wish you all the best with breaking out of your comfort zone.

    Check out my blog:
    http://katieloveslife94.blogspot.com

    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the Run This Year challenge sounds awesome.

    My only running goal is to PR in the half. Hopefully, it will be a big one.

    I will never be fearless. I'm super anxious and have a very active imagination so...I have a lot of crazy, irrational fears. But one thing I need to try to overcome is my fear of failure. It's deep-rooted and has crippled me at times. I'd like to work on that one.

    Good luck and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You are definitively fearless. Running in the winter in Minnesota, I can't even begin to imagine how cold it must have been. I'm in Florida and I'm freezing when it drops below 70s!

    I don't know if I would call my list resolutions or just goals. I always try to eat healthier and run more. I also like to try new restaurants and visit new places with the family.

    I like your idea of the one word. I'd seen it somewhere else and I think I'm going to work on figuring out what my "word" will be for 2014.

    Good luck with all your running goals. You're off to an amazing 2014!

    ReplyDelete