Thursday, November 7, 2013

This Runner's Frustration

These last two weeks after my first half marathon have been extremely frustrating to me. I didn't want to cut back on my running, but I've been forced to from sore legs (expected), bad weather and, the most annoying, my ankle. I did expect the sore legs for a few days after the half and planned for that. I figured I would cut back my miles for a few days, then get back into my usual routine. 

However, my ankle has been starting to bother me more and more. Last week I managed a few runs, pushing myself through the pain, and also spending some time on the elliptical. This week, however, has been worse. Monday night I ran a quick three miles on the treadmill at the hotel gym where I was staying. After, my ankle really started to bother me. My plan was to get up early Tuesday to squeeze in another run prior to my meetings, but my ankle had another plan.

I ended up taking Tuesday off, and during the day the uncomfortable feeling just got worse. Wednesday I could only manage two miles before I had to stop and move to the elliptical. Today, I didn't even try anything other than the elliptical. My ankle hurts when I walk, go down the stairs or move it wrong so running wasn't even an option.

I'm just so frustrated. All I want to do is run and clear my head; feel good again. But I'm not going to do anything that will further hurt my ankle. The pain started in my Achilles tendon and now the left side hurts as well. It's not a constant pain, but sharp pains while walking or running. 

I'm definitely feeling sidelined right now. Luckily I don't have a race until the Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot, but I really miss running! I feel lost without it! Every time I see a post about running or how many miles someone ran, I feel jealous. Honestly, I also feel like I'm a failure because I'm not out there, too; that I'm being a wuss or something for not pushing it.

So that's where I am .... frustrated and lost without knowing how to work out without running. I'm hoping a few days off from running is all I need and I can get back into it soon. Sunday I'm hoping - send positive vibes! I've done so well not getting injured up until now. At least the worst of the pain waited until after the half marathon!

Me too, running shoes, me too. I miss you.

Have you ever hurt your ankle like this? 
Would you go to the doctor or try rest first? 
How do you work out if you can't run?

Until next time~

11 comments:

  1. Don't run anymore on it! Don't cause it anymore stress. You should get it checked out by a doctor. You don't want to make a bad situation worse. I fell in the gym back in early spring and my ankle still "aches" occasionally from twisting it. It was several months before I could jog on it. You didn't mention falling or twisting it so hopefully it's not something too serious. - Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't fall. Initially I think I just ran too far too soon, but now I'm not sure what's going on with it. A doctor visit will happen soon I think because I don't want to have to take too long off!

      Delete
  2. Could it be your Achilles tendon? Please stop running on it, and go see a doctor stat. Taking a little time off now could prevent a permanent end to your running career later! Other activities such as biking or swimming are good cardio stand-ins (too keep up your fitness) until you get back on your feet (pun intended!). Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure it's my Achilles. I'm thinking I'll go to the doctor this week since it's not getting any better and I don't want a permanent injury! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I wish you would stop being so hard on yourself. You really need to focus on positive things and stop being so negative. Maybe therapy would help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running IS my therapy, thank you very much. Now please go mean somewhere else.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, That is frustrating. I would try to rest first and I would swim and bike if my ankle could handle the bike. Hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very frustrating! I'm trying to do other things instead that don't hurt it, but I'm thinking a doctor visit is in my near future. Swimming isn't an option since my gym doesn't have a pool, but I might try the bike!

      Delete
  5. Therapy as in physical therapy. I am so sorry you misunderstood my kind intention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for reading it the wrong way! Thank you for your advice. I will be going to a doctor soon since it's not getting any better.

      Delete