Monday, November 18, 2013

MIMM: Back to Running and an Upcoming Challenge

Happy Monday! I know it's difficult to be happy on Mondays, so I'm glad there's a linkup to assist with finding the marvelous in it - Marvelous in My Monday. So many great bloggers join and I'm happy to be a part of it!

So what's marvelous this Monday? Well, first it's this. Just because I love coffee and minions!



Also marvelous? This past week I was finally able to get back to running!!! Woot woot!! After dealing with crazy ankle pain no matter what I did, it finally went away. So what did I do? Simple - I changed the insoles in my shoes before Wednesday's run. Seriously. That is all I did and it made a world of difference. I did take it easy for mileage and pace last week just in case that actually wasn't the issue, but every run just got better. By Friday, no pain at all. I am a very happy runner!



So how did I do for mileage last week? Well, not great running-wise, but like I said, I took it easy because of my ankle. Total miles covered though, is pretty good. Here's a quick recap:

Sunday: 4.3 miles + stability ball/ ab work, planks and squats
Monday: 3 miles elliptical, 4 miles bike + free weight exercises and planks
Tuesday: 3.6 miles elliptical, 1 mile treadmill run + stability ball/ ab work, planks and squats + Pilates
Wednesday: 3.4 mile run, 4 miles bike + cable weight machine weights and plank
Thursday: 4 mile run + leg day (squats, Bosu ball mountain climbers, lunges, calf raises, etc.), planks and ab work + Pilates
Friday: 5.6 mile run + planks
Saturday: Rest Day

Miles Covered: 18.3 running + 14.6 elliptical/ bike = 32.9 total miles

As much as I love running, I'm also enjoying more gym time with the elliptical and bike. Plus, I'm getting in more weight lifting time. Which I LOVE!! I definitely want to get more toned and feel stronger, and now that I'm not training for a half marathon, I have more freedom to do that. However, I do miss having a plan, a schedule. I'm someone who thrives on a schedule. I feel lost without one! I still want to keep up the basic schedule I had during half marathon training - running shorter distances during the week with a long run on weekends - but I also need a new challenge. Something to keep me going every day. Which is why I'm excited I found this ....

Runner's World Holiday Streak Challenge. Every day from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day you have to run at least one mile. It doesn't have to be outside, but it does have to be an actual run, not a bike ride, swim or elliptical. I saw it in the latest edition of Runner's World and signed up immediately. What a great challenge! I am a little scared not having any rest days, but I get that my "rest days" are supposed to be one easy mile, and I think I can handle that. I can still cross train as long as I do my one mile run as well. I think this will be good to get me outside and acclimated to winter running. I'm not a quitter so every day I will be getting in a run! Who else wants to join?? It will be fun!

Just to post a few tips from the Runner's World website - this isn't for injury prone, injured or newbie runners. They recommend only joining if you've been running regularly for at least six months. Take as many one mile days as you would rest days; don't make every day a high intensity day.

Hope everyone is having a marvelous Monday!



Until next time~

6 comments:

  1. It's kind of nuts how much a pair of insoles can change your shoes! I now run with orthotics and it's made a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's crazy! I had insoles originally when I purchased them, but they felt worn out so I switched to the ones that came with the shoe and that was the problem. I need more support! So happy I figured out that was the issue!

      Delete
  2. What wonderful news! Glad you were able to get back on the pavement and get in some miles. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I even made it out for an 8 mile run on Sunday with no pain!!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE the minion coffee picture. The runner's world challenge sounds fun but totally intimidating to me....which means I might just have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Runner's World challenge intimidates me as well, which is why I figured I should just go for it. I need a new challenge since my next half marathon won't be until spring. It will be strange not having any rest days!!

      Delete