Thursday, October 3, 2013

It's Definitely Not Easy

These are just a few of the thoughts running through my head lately as I train for my first half marathon:





Half marathon training is TOUGH. Physically, when I'm out running, everything is usually okay. Sometimes I have stomach aches, swishing in my stomach or twinges in my ankle. However, I survive. I push on and I make it through a run, typically loving it. After is a different story.

After Sunday's long run I could barely walk. My hamstrings and calves were so tight and sore. The stairs in my house just about crippled me. I sat on a heating pad pretty much all day Monday! Tuesday's run went well; my legs loosened up and after LOTS of foam rolling, the tightness and soreness disappeared. Then Wednesday came. This was definitely a bad run. My stomach hurt even though I ate the same thing for breakfast as usual. I had a headache. Worst of all, the back of my right ankle hurt so much I almost cried from the pain. Advil and ice were my best friends for the rest of the day!

Other than the aches and pains I expect in my legs, I also have a never ending headache. I just can NOT get rid of it. Luckily it's not a bad headache, just an annoying one. That, along with feeling tired/ low energy, constantly being hungry (and craving sugar!) is wearing on me. I had to go and buy a new belt today for my already size 00 pants. I have nothing to say that. This training is TOUGH on my body and me. 

BUT ... (you had to know there was a but coming!)

The feeling I get, the pride of doing this training and running the way I am, is worth it. 100% worth it. Does that make me crazy?

I'm cutting back on other things to help my body recover. I'm not lifting weights for as long right now, Pilates has been cut back to a couple times a week and I'm going to bed earlier. I'm surviving, still loving it and am dedicated, committed to this. 


I figure at some point this gets easier, right? My body will catch up and things will flow better? I'll figure out how to properly fuel my body so I'm not craving this?? I'm drooling; I want it so bad!



I'm still at the point where I love running, no worries. I know I'm doing the right thing and am making myself proud. Most days I can't wait to get out and run. I can't wait until the feelings I'll get when running my first half marathon and crossing that finish line! 

Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment