Sunday, October 13, 2013

Half Marathon Training: Week Four - Burn Out Week

I can't believe that in two weeks I'll be running my first half marathon!! I'm extremely anxious about it - looking forward to it and the feelings of crossing the finish line, but I also have many fears that I'll get into with a post later this week. This week of training didn't help alleviate any of those fears! Honestly, I am not proud of this week. 



Let's see how I did this week in my training ....
Sunday: 13 miles
Monday: Rest Day
Tuesday: Rest Day :(
Wednesday: 6.5 miles + weights and planks
Thursday: 5.4 miles + ab work, planks and squats + Pilates
Friday: 3.3 miles + planks
Saturday: 4.5 miles elliptical + weights and planks

Total Miles: 28.2 miles running + 4.5 elliptical = 32.7 total miles

I am supremely disappointed in this week's training. Last week I did 35.9 total miles and I wasn't close to that this week. And I started off so well!

Monday's 13 mile run was amazing. I felt great during the whole run and kept a pace that surprised me. It was my first time using fuel during the run (GU Energy Gel in strawberry banana) and I think it really helped me push through those last few miles. But the whole run felt great. I didn't have any pain and never had to slow down to a walk. I spent the whole day after in compression socks and spent some time foam rolling so I wouldn't be sore the next day.

Monday was my scheduled rest day. Which was good since I had to travel for work Monday and Tuesday. Luckily, I wasn't sore, but I was definitely tired and hungry. My hunger doesn't hit me until the next day apparently! I wasn't planning on taking a rest day on Tuesday, but that's what happened, sadly.

Here's the thing. Work trips stress me out. I can NOT relax on these trips at all. I am a ball of stress. It's about being my best in front of my co-workers and especially in front of the client. I don't sleep at all in the hotel, the food isn't the greatest and my healthy choices are limited. I bring snacks with me, but my stomach just can't handle it between the stress and food options. To sum that up, although I didn't work out those days, they aren't "rest days"; I definitely wasn't resting! 

So, for the rest of the week, I dealt with an upset stomach and tiredness. I could not get myself back on track. I've felt tired and worn out all week. I think my body really missed an actual rest day!! Then, on Friday, I spent the morning at the vet with my dog dealing with an emergency situation; the time I would usually be running. Getting out for a three mile run was all I could do and I was okay with that because of the situation. 

My poor baby!! Couldn't leave her for long!

This is definitely the week of burn out for me. Running was just not agreeing with me (well, my stomach) and I did what I could. Does it make me happy? No. But I can't change it. It happened. According to my schedule, I'm supposed to start tapering my mileage. I think that's probably a good thing. Today's long run was less miles than last Sunday, and 10 times more difficult. Tomorrow's rest day is definitely needed. Burn out .... I don't like it!!



And just so you know, I'm not making excuses. I could have went for a run on the treadmill early on Tuesday despite a stomachache. I could have left my sick, hurt puppy for a longer period of time and ran for 6 miles on Friday. I could have, but I chose not to. My decisions and I have to live with how badly my training turned out for the week. Live with it, and get over it.

I'm hoping by the time I get out for my run on Tuesday, I'll feel ready and refreshed; that all I need is a real rest day. Allow my body to heal and get myself back on track. My half marathon is so close and I need to be ready for it!

How do you deal with burn out? Do you take it easy or give yourself an extra day of rest, or just push through it doing the miles scheduled? I need to figure out how to get past this bad week .... 

Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment