Sunday, October 20, 2013

Half Marathon Training: Week Five

In less than a week, I'll be fulfilling one of my goals and will be running my first half marathon - so exciting!! I can't believe that I actually feel ready for it; that my training is on track and is making me feel prepared. Last week, I complained a little bit about burn out and feeling tired all the time. This week has been much better!

Here's a quick recap of my workouts this week:
Sunday: 11.5 mile run
Monday: Rest Day
Tuesday: 5.1 miles + weights, planks and squats + Pilates
Wednesday: 5 miles + ab work and planks
Thursday: 4.3 miles elliptical + weights, planks and squats + Pilates
Friday: 4 miles + ab work and planks
Saturday: 5.1 miles + planks

Total Miles: 30.7 running + 4.3 elliptical = 35 miles!

Sunday's run was a little difficult since I was feeling so burnt out leading up to that run. I'm so proud that I pushed myself through it. I was having stomach issues that day and for the first time actually had to find a gas station along the route. Not fun, but at least I knew where one was! Still, I pushed myself through and didn't do too bad on time.


After resting on Monday, I felt so much better for the remaining runs. Tuesday I had to run on the treadmill thanks to a lovely downpour of rain, but I actually enjoyed it because it allowed me to push myself to run faster. The rest of my runs were outside and my favorite run was on Saturday. Everything just came together for a great run and I ran what I hope will be my race pace the whole time. I'll share my goals later this week! 

Today I start my sixth week of training. I've been "loosely" following a training plan I found online. Okay, honestly, I looked at many plans and somewhat am following them. Or maybe not really at all. Most plans say two days of rest and I only take one, and I upped my mileage more than recommended on those plans. Okay, fine .... I haven't followed a training plan at all. I'll admit it! However, for these last two weeks, I am trying to follow a plan. I stuck to five and four miles instead of the six I wanted to be running last week. Although, looking back, I did still log quite a few miles! But for this last week, I 100% will be following the plan I found. So here is what I'm doing for my final week ...

Sunday: 8 miles
Monday: Rest Day
Tuesday: 5 miles
Wednesday: 4 miles
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: Rest Day
Saturday: HALF MARATHON!! 

I think that looks like a good plan to keep my legs loose, but not tire them out too much. I want to be ready and have fresh legs for Saturday! Tapering is hard for me; I just love to run and it's hard to hold back. However, I need to remember that the goal is to rock the marathon on Saturday and taking it easy is necessary to do that! 

So that's where I am with training. I'm feeling great and ready for this upcoming race. Do I have fears and nerves? Absolutely. (Ahem, only a high of 44 degrees with snow/ rain showers expected!) But I also know that I've done everything in my power to prepare myself for it. I have the strength, the endurance and I will rock it


Until next time~

6 comments:

  1. Today was my first training week for the December12k. You are an Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love hearing that and being an inspiration!! Just use a training plan!! Don't be like me in that aspect! :)

      Delete
  2. Great quote. I love the endorphin's that running gives you. Probably why I've stuck with it even when training gets rough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The endorphins are awesome. I never regret a run even if it's a "bad" run!

      Delete
  3. You are totally going to ROCK it! I am so excited for you. I can't wait for my next one. It's not about your time, it's about how it makes you feel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Most importantly, I plan on having fun tomorrow. Yes, I hope to finish in a certain time, but no matter what, I'll be happy with how I finish as long as I enjoy the race!

      Delete