Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Half Marathon Fears

For the most part, I am intensely excited for my half marathon that's coming up in a week and a half. However, I do have some fears. I mean, who wouldn't prior to running their first (or even every!) half marathon? I think fears are normal, and I also think they're helping me prepare for my upcoming race. I'm reading so many articles and blogs on what to expect, pack, bring, etc.! I also figure it I discuss my fears, it might help me get over them. Release them somehow by putting them out there.

My biggest fear is one I can't control - the weather. I love running in the sunshine and the cooler fall temps are great. I haven't ran much in rain other than misty days or rain showers when I've been out. When it rains, I typically stick to the treadmill or cross training. But if it rains on race day, I just have to suck it up and run. Or what if it snows?? This is Minnesota after all and I did hear the s word on the weather forecast today. I'm a freeze baby and am worried about being cold!! Plus, since I just started running in May, I have zero experience running in cold and snow.



One of my other bigger fears is having stomach issues/ cramps. This has become more of a concern lately as I've been dealing with stomach issues. This weekend's long run was the first time I had to find a restroom while on a run. I'm doing what I can to control them - I'm watching my gluten intake, cutting dairy down to minimal, not much alcohol - but I feel like I've been doing those things and am still having issues right now. I just want a calm stomach on race day!

Although I know I can run 13.1 miles, I still worry about making it through the race and being fueled enough for all those miles. Not having to walk. Did I train enough? Did I rest enough for the few days prior? I'm planning on eating my usual long run breakfast. Which I guess is a weird choice? I eat two eggs and a banana with some peanut butter. I don't get hungry with this breakfast when eaten about an hour prior to running. I haven't had issues with it either. I guess most people eat toast, oatmeal or something similar along with a banana and peanut butter, but I'm mostly grain free so my body is used to eggs and I find them proper fuel. Oatmeal honestly feels like lead in my stomach! I'm also packing some GUs with and sticking them in my pocket. Glad I found something that works for me!

I also have worries about making it to the race in time, finding the location and parking. Obviously I'm downloading directions prior and will be going with my friend Lisa and my parents so I'm hoping I won't have to drive to help with those worries! St. Paul isn't one of my normal routes and I'm not familiar with it at all. I will be going the day prior to pick up my packet and I'm hoping that will help alleviate a little of that fear.

I've been reading a lot on what to bring for race day. This has helped me quite a bit since I didn't really know what to bring! I'm hoping my mom will hold my bag for me and will pack a water bottle, a Quest bar, a jacket and extra clothes in case I need to change after or it's super cold. This is probably my favorite list so far from fellow blogger Deb Runs! I love not just this list, but the whole article!




I guess those are probably my biggest fears as of right now - the weather, stomach issues, proper fuel/ making it through the whole race, getting there and parking, and what to bring. I have other small things that creep into my mind like what to wear, dealing with the huge crowd of people and just overcoming the bad thoughts that might pop in my mind (like are you crazy, you can't run 13.1 miles? Look at that person, they're going faster than you. You're slow)



I might have just started running this past May, but I know I'm ready for this. I've been training and I have the endurance to last 13.1 miles. My only goals at this point are to rock it and have fun because in the end, I love running.



Until next time~

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you!! You will be FINE. These are all very normal fears and, most of them, are under your control. If you haven't experienced stomach issues in training and if you fuel the same way you should be just fine on race day. As for the weather? I ran my very first ever marathon in pouring, driving rain...and it was fine. I just had to laugh. Another tip is to wear warm clothing over your race outfit that you would donate anyway - like big baggy sweats that are stained, have holes or that you just won't ever wear again. Wear them right up until you hear that national anthem and then take them off and ditch them by the side of the road. Most races will pick up and donate all the "extra" clothing that runners leave behind. It's a fairly common practice and has served me well. Can't wait to check back and see how it goes. Go get 'em!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The weather is supposed to be only a high of 44 degrees with rain/ snow showers expected. Fun times! I'm definitely going to pick up one of those cheap ponchos to have just in case that I can throw away along with those cheap gloves. Doing what I can to be prepared!

      Delete