Monday, September 9, 2013

Weekend Recap and Disappointment

Happy Monday lovely readers!

I hope you are all have a wonderful weekend! My weekend started out with watching The Great Gatsby Friday night while enjoying a delicious chicken cobb salad (new recipe for the week!) with my cuddly, furry date, ran a race on Saturday and ended with a trip to Dave & Buster's. Not a bad weekend!

Saturday was my Happy Days 5k race. I had high hopes for this race - to run at an average pace of 8 minutes per mile, to improve on my last race time, and to win first in my division. Probably too unrealistic of goals. I don't know. What I do know, is that I ran pretty hard, probably not as hard as I could of, and I finished the same time (or so) as my previous race. I placed second in my division. 


Cue disappointment in myself. 

I know I should be proud of myself just for finishing and doing a great job. I finished at an average pace of 8:35 per mile or so and I should be happy with that. This is only my third 5k. And I should focus on the enjoyment of running and racing. But I felt none of that when I finished. I was very much down on myself. I ran too slow. I felt too sluggish. I let the humidity get to me. This is where the perfectionist in me gets me into trouble. 

I was in a funk and down on myself most of the day on Saturday. I was so tired, too, after not having slept well at all during the week. I stayed in Saturday night, watched the fireworks from my patio and enjoyed some delicious fro-yo since it was 90 degrees and humid (not fun running weather!).

Sunday I woke up tired, my legs sore. I had a long run planned, but I just wasn't feeling it after Saturday's disappointing race. Honestly, I felt severely burnt out. I just didn't want to do anything, and definitely not running. I hit the gym instead doing the elliptical for a mile, then switching to a round of upper body weights then repeated the cycle. It felt pretty good. Loosened up my legs and brought my energy up. The burnt out feeling didn't entirely go away, but it dissipated some. The long run will have to be saved for another day this week instead. I'm not skipping it, just moving it!

Sunday night ended at Dave & Buster's. This was my first trip there and I have to say I had a blast. I found out that I'm much better at the more physical games - basketball, air hockey and race car driving - than the video games like Pac Man. I kicked a little butt! Woot woot! 

So, what do I do about beating myself up over a race? How do I just focus on the fun and not the competition? I'm so focused on being better, faster, more mileage. I see what other people are doing and I want to do that, too. I want to run the 7 minute splits, the half marathons. If they can, why can't I? However, I'm afraid that I really am going to burn myself out if I keep pushing myself and comparing my runs to other people. That I'm not going to enjoy it anymore because the way I felt on Saturday after the race was not fun. I hope that it was just a bad day and that my next run will be fun. That I'll see improving my runs as improving myself, my mind and my enjoyment, not a competition. 



And now, as I finish writing this post, all I want to do is get out there and enjoy a run!

Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment