Monday, September 23, 2013

Half Marathon Training: Week One

Although technically I didn't sign up for my first half marathon until last Thursday, I'm still counting last week as my first week of training. It was that 8 mile run last Sunday that me think I'd be able to run a half; got my confidence up and made me believe that I'm crazy enough to run 13.1 miles this year already.



Here is a quick recap of my first week of training:
Sunday: 8 mile run
Monday: Rest Day!!
Tuesday: 1.5 miles (treadmill) + 50 squats, 20 pushups and 2 minute plank
Wednesday: 4 mile run + weights, 80 squats, planks and Pilates
Thursday: 4.3 miles on elliptical + legs (lunges, deadlifts, 50 squats) and Pilates
Friday: 6.3 mile run + weights, pushups, tricep dips, planks
Saturday: 4 mile run + abs

23.8 miles of running + 4.3 miles elliptical = 28.1 miles!!

My eight mile run was my favorite run because I did it to prove something to myself. I had never run that far before and told myself that if I could, I would sign up for a half marathon. I didn't expect that the half marathon would only be in less than six weeks, but I can do it!!



My worst day was Tuesday. However, I was traveling for work and just happy I fit something in before meetings! 

My fastest run was the four miles on Saturday. Funny thing is, I felt like I was going slow. At the end when I closed out Runtastic, I saw my average pace is getting close to my last 5k race pace and I got the biggest smile. Becoming faster on my shorter runs is a huge accomplishment; especially when I feel like they were slow! 

This week I think I have around 26 or 28 miles scheduled, plus a day on the elliptical or stair tread climber (no idea if that's the correct name of that machine!) I will also keep up with weights and Pilates. Because I love them and don't want to give them up! 

So, my question is ... am I training at the right amount of miles? Too many? I've looked at quite a few training programs online and I'm on target for my long runs with how many weekends I have until race day. However, most programs schedule two days of rest, but I've been working out six days a week for awhile now so I think I can handle it. But advice is always welcome since I'm new to this!

Until next time~

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your half!! I have no idea if you are on track b/c I have never done a half but sounds like your crushing it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I feel like I'm on the right track with training. Being careful though, too so I don't get injured or burnt out!

      Delete