Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Power of the Scale

I'm so jealous of people who don't let the scale have power over them. I wish I were like that! I weigh myself twice a week and that number can affect my mood. And I hate that!

This morning I stepped on the scale and my weight had gone up a little over half a pound. The thoughts running through my mind were similar to these ...
Did I not push myself hard enough this week?
Did I splurge too much?
Was it that yogurt I had last night for dessert?
Am I eating too much chocolate?

Ridiculous. All this over a half a pound or so of weight gain. 


I know deep inside my brain that weight fluctuates day to day, throughout the day and can change depending on water retention, sleep, stress and probably this crazy humidity we've been experiencing. But, for one moment, all of that knowledge was pushed aside and I freaked out a little bit.

Losing weight came easy to me. I think I wanted it so bad and found motivation every day that the numbers on the scale just kept going down. Then I hit the weight I'm at now. It never dips below this "magic" number, but it does creep up every once in awhile by a few pounds. Nothing major. And it usually goes back in a day or two. But I think I've gotten my mind so used to seeing those numbers go down, that mentally I have a hard time with maintenance. I think I know I don't need to lose any more weight and that I'm happy with where I am, but there's still a little voice inside my head that allows those numbers on the scale to dictate my eating habits, how much time I spend at the gym, and controls my mood toward myself.


And I want to stop it.

So, how do I look at the numbers and just seem them for what they are - numbers. Numbers that keep me in balance, but don't dictate my life. I'm learning to love my body for all it can do - my strong legs that can carry me on a run, the arms that have amazing muscle tone, the abs that finally are starting to have definition, and the strength I have to carry me through the worst of days - and I need to let go of the number and focus on the good.


Until next time~

2 comments:

  1. have you thought about it being possibly hormonal? I know i retain water and the scale goes up every month around that time of the month? That could be it too. I usually try to remember that and say this too shall pass...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm, I'm not sure. I'm on the depo shot so I don't have a normal cycle. However, my skin is breaking out right now too so hormonal is possible! It's normal for weight to fluctuate; I know, but it still bothers me.

      Delete