Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Comparisons and Cravings

Hello lovely readers!

I've been kind of quiet this week dealing with some personal disappointments and struggles. I have a difficult time not obsessing over things and consistently thinking the worst, especially in matters of the heart. 
But anyway ....

These personal struggles also affect the way I workout, eat and think about my body. I've been getting my workouts in, but not feeling super great about them. I just feel like I'm doing them just to do them, rather than enjoying them. Not pushing myself enough. And then I go to Twitter and I see how people I follow are running 5, 8 or even 15 miles. Working out for hours. Lifting weights like crazy. Seeing the calories they burn blows my mind. They have amazing, lean bodies. Then I feel even more horrible about myself and beat myself up for not working out hard enough, long enough, strong enough. I am so far away from looking like this:

Pinned here

However, then I came across this:

Pinned here

Comparing myself to others definitely steals my joy. I should be happy with the fact that I work out as hard as I can and try to push myself every day. I shouldn't compare myself to others, but rather to who I was a year ago. I've made a huge strides in my fitness and health. I'm not a runner; I'm not good at it, but I'm trying. Those who I follow on Twitter are runners; they are way beyond where I am now. I need to remember that I follow them for motivation and inspiration. They're not perfect either, but they provide great role models for how I want to live my healthy life.

Food-wise I haven't been doing horrible this week. Eating healthy as normal, but I've been feeling super hungry. Maybe I'm not eating enough calories, and that's an area I'm trying to address. It's a HUGE issue for me getting the "right" amount of calories. 

Today I've been craving sugar, which I haven't in really long time. It started with my coffee. I just really wanted the Natural Bliss vanilla creamer rather than my no sugar homemade creamer. I couldn't get the craving out of my head and that sugar craving stayed with me all day. This afternoon I wanted ice cream or frozen yogurt, but I stuck with some Greek yogurt with all natural peanut butter, stevia, and dark and white chocolate chips.

I also started doing Pilates this week at home in the evenings. I'm hoping that it will assist me with my problem area - my stomach. I still don't see it as amazing or flat (in fact, I beat myself up about it daily), and I'm hoping that strengthening my core will help not only my abs, but also my mindset so I'm not so critical. Any recommendations for videos?

How do you deal with sugar cravings? Just give into them or find healthy substitutes? 

Until next time~

1 comment:

  1. That's a great post about comparisons. I have a hard time with that, too.

    ReplyDelete