Monday, March 4, 2013

Motivational Monday: My Personal Motivation

Today is a somewhat big day. It has been one year since my husband passed away. One year since my life changed drastically. I suffered an enormous heart break on March 4th, 2012 and in getting through it, I made significant life changes. One of these changes has definitely been regarding my lifestyle, which has resulted in a 50 pound weight loss.

I've been asked many times, how do I do it every day? How do I choose a salad over a cheeseburger? How do I keep motivated? It's not looking in the mirror and seeing how my body has changed for the better. It's not the compliments. It's not the stares from the cute guys. All of those are awesome, but not my biggest motivator.

Here it is ...
My biggest motivation is what I woke up to on March 4th, 2012 at 3:30am. I found my husband passing away from a heart attack. At just 40 years of age. Yes, he had many other health issues that contributed to it such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes. However, he also didn't have the greatest diet, which greatly contributed to the heart attack. And I wasn't eating the greatest either. I was relatively healthy, but I ate what I wanted, ate a lot of sugary sweets, didn't eat my daily five fruits and veggies, or regularly exercise. 

Waking up to the aftermath of a massive heart attack is living through your worst nightmare. I don't know any other way to describe it. You live through the nightmare, and then you have to suffer through the heart break. And at some point, you choose how to get through it and what in your life will change. For me, it was pretty much everything. My life is incredibly different from how I lived a year ago. However, one of the biggest change is choosing healthy food, going to the gym five to six days a week and every day making healthy choices. I choose clean, healthy food and working out to keep my heart and body healthy. Doing this decreases my chances of suffering a heart attack and many other horrible health issues. I saw right in front of me the end result of a heart attack and I don't want to experience that nightmare again.

So, to sum it up, I choose to eat healthy and work out to be healthy. To treat my body the way it deserves to be treated and be the best possible me I can be. Seeing what happens when you aren't healthy scared the crap out of me, and doing what I can to avoid that is my biggest motivation. 


Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment