Thursday, March 7, 2013

Homemade Coffee Creamer

Last week I wrote a post about how I'm trying to cut my sugar intake. I realized that even without eating much processed foods I'm still consuming more sugar than I would like. Albeit much of that is natural sugar, but I still want to cut down on my added sugar. The biggest culprit? My morning coffee creamer. Having two cups of coffee, I would consume 10 grams of sugar if I used a tablespoon of creamer in each cup. (And, I'm pretty sure I use more than a tablespoon - oops!) 

Last night I finally attempted to make my own coffee creamer. I've seen many recipes online for homemade coffee creamer and most of them contain sweetened condensed milk and half-and-half. Which don't help me at all with all the sugar in sweetened condensed milk. I finally saw a few with coconut milk so I thought I would give that a try.

I used one can of Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk unsweetened, 6 packets of Sweet Leaf 100% Natural Stevia, 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract and about 1.5 teaspoons of honey. I heated it all up in a saucepan on the stove to incorporate the stevia and honey into the milk, let it cool and then put it in a glass container overnight. 

The verdict? Definitely not as sweet as my Natural Bliss Vanilla creamer, but pretty good. I might be able to get used to it. I did learn this morning that I like my coffee super sweet so drinking it like this will be a process for me. I also would like to add more vanilla next time. Maybe try vanilla beans for a more vanilla flavor. That might help as well. I only had one tablespoon left in my extract! 

Nutritional facts (using MyFitnessPal): I assumed that this recipe made about 16 servings with 2 tablespoons as a serving. Calories 48, carbs 2g, fat 4g and sugar 1g. Higher in calories and fat than my Natural Bliss, but lower in carbs and sugar, which is the whole point of this experience!

As a side note, coconut milk is definitely not low fat. However, I have learned that coconut milk is considered a "healthy fat" and healthy fats are great for you. They do not make you fat; our bodies need healthy fats. Coconut milk is rich in vitamin and minerals, aids in weight loss and digestion, is magnesium rich and an immune system booster. Although the fat is saturated fat, it's actually good for you. Who knew there were good saturated fats?? 

I am hoping I can get used to drinking my coffee this way - healthier, cleaner and much less sugar. I just need to play around with it a bit more, experiment. Let me know if you have any suggestions or how you would make it!

Update: I went to the grocery store and bought some more vanilla extract. I added in some more (I didn't measure, sorry!) and it tastes delicious now. Or at least the spoonful I taste tested did. Can't wait to try it again tomorrow!


Until next time~

2 comments:

  1. Hm....perhaps I'll try this. I know my morning coffee creamer is a culprit of sugar intake, too. I also feel like it's a place I could cut out some unneccessary "stuff" in my diet. I think instead of vanilla, I might try almond extra. I love almond and coconut together. Did the coconut milk give you a strong coconut flavor? If not, I might try adding a little coconut extra and a little almond extract. Hm...lots to consider. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think it had a very strong coconut flavor at all. And I like the idea of adding more extracts!

      Delete