Thursday, March 21, 2013

Homemade Coffee Creamer Round 2

A few weeks ago I made a homemade coffee creamer that just didn't impress me. It wasn't creamy enough. It wasn't sweet enough. It tasted good on it's own, but disappeared when I added it to my coffee. So, I went back to my sugary Natural Bliss vanilla coffee creamer and continued my search for a new creamer to try and make.

Then I came across this. A recipe that promised to be thick and creamy. At first I was scared to try it. A raw egg? Scary!! But I forged ahead. My first batch turned out amazingly good. It was thick, creamy, sweet enough and when added to my coffee, foamed up so I felt as if I was drinking a latte. And the addition of cinnamon was perfect for me - added a little extra "sweetness" without the sugar and I could cut back on the honey!

I've since made it two other times and for some reason am failing at the thickness. I think it's my coconut milk. When I open the can it's all liquid already rather than solid on top and liquid on the bottom. I wonder why? I'm thinking I need to try a new brand. However, it still tastes delicious.  And I've learned that my Natural Bliss is starting to taste too sweet! I made a cup of coffee on Tuesday and grabbed the Natural Bliss that's left to use it up and could barely drink my coffee because it was so sweet. Progress!!

This is, as with my other version, made with canned coconut milk. I keep having to remind myself that the fats in it are healthy fats and my body needs them. I struggle with the calorie and fat content in this recipe. I've thought of using light coconut milk, but I don't think the health benefits of light coconut milk are the same? I think that my struggle with the calories and fat is part of my starting to get obsessed with what I eat and I need to let go a little bit. My body needs healthy fat to be healthy! I'm working on it .... 

If you're looking for a homemade coffee creamer that's thick, creamy and slightly sweet, I highly recommend this. Find the original recipe here along with how I make it below.

The cast of ingredients:
1 can coconut milk 
2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted, but not hot)
1/2 to 1 packet Stevia (I'm still trying to get used to the aftertaste so I mix Stevia and honey for now)
1/2 to 1 tablespoon honey 
1 egg (organic only)
2 teaspoons vanilla 
Cinnamon to taste


All you do is combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and mix away. The result should be a thick, frothy creamer. Store in a glass container overnight and the mixture with continue to thicken and be ready to add to your coffee in the morning. Delicious!


Enjoy! And until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment