Thursday, February 7, 2013

My New Favorite Workout

I've been starting to feel a little bored at the gym. Ever since I joined back at the end of April last year, I've done the same couple of workouts: 35 minutes on the elliptical with the "random" setting at various resistance levels or I walk at varying inclines on the treadmill. (I also lift weights twice a week.) However, I recently noticed that my body had plateaued, nothing has changed over the last couple of months. So, with a combination of being bored and reaching a plateau, I knew I needed to switch things up a little bit. 

I started with running. I can make it a little over two miles before I lose my concentration/ motivation and get a little bored with it. And I always end up having to run on the elliptical after to burn the right amount of calories for the day! So, although I like running and will keep doing it a couple days a week so I can eventually run a 5K with my friend Lisa, I needed to find something else that kept my interest and burned more calories.

In comes Pinterest. Oh how I love that site! I saw a workout that promised to burn almost 400 calories in 32 minutes doing intervals on the treadmill. I thought that sounded awesome and decided to try it out the next day. At the end of the workout, doing it almost exactly like they had said, I had to go just about 40 minutes to reach 400 calories. Not just 32 but, that's fine since I don't know what weight they used to determine the calorie burning. The best part of doing this interval workout was that I felt like I got an amazing workout. I was sweaty, my heart was pumping and the next day my legs were sore!

Today I did the same type of workout, just adjusted slightly to my personal fitness level. I felt like running for only a minute at a time wasn't enough of a workout so I wanted to adjust it slightly. So, here is my new favorite workout if you're looking for something new to try out during your next workout!

Minutes 0 - 3: Warmup, walk at 3.8 speed, incline of 1.5 or 2.0
Minutes 3 - 5: Run at speed 7, incline 1.5 or 2.0
Minutes 5 - 8: Walk at speed 4, incline 15.0
Minutes 8 - 10: Run at speed 7, incline 1.5 or 2.0
Minutes 10 - 13: Walk at speed 4, incline 15.0
Minutes 13 - 15: Run at speed 7, incline 1.5 or 2.0
Minutes 15 - 18: Walk at speed 4, incline 15.0
Minutes 18 - 20: Run at speed 7, incline 1.5 or 2.0
Minutes 20 - 23: Walk at speed 4, incline 15.0
Minutes 23 - 25: Run at speed 7, incline 1.5 or 2.0
Minutes 25 - 28: Walk at speed 4, incline 15.0
Minutes 28 - 30: Run at speed 7, incline 1.5 or 2.0
Minutes 30 - 33: Walk at speed 4, incline 15.0
Minutes 33 - 35: Run at speed 7, incline 1.5 or 2.0
Minutes 35 - 38: Walk at speed 4, incline 15.0
Minutes 38 - 40: Run at speed 7, incline 1.5 or 2.0
Minutes 40 - 43: Cool down, walk at 3.8 speed, incline of 1.5 or 2.0

Doing this workout, I burned 432 calories and went 3.58 miles. I think it's a great workout and if you try it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! I have a couple more interval routines pinned and can't wait to try them out!


Until next time~

2 comments:

  1. Great job! I bet the incline of 15 really gets your legs and heart pumping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does! That incline is probably why my legs hurt so much the next day!

      Delete