Monday, December 31, 2012

Reflections and Resolutions

2012 has been quite a year. A year of tragedy. A year of change. A year of growth. And a year of happiness. I wouldn't classify this year as horrible by any means, but I'm happy to say goodbye to it and hello to a brand new year, a year full of possibilities.

I started 2012 off quietly. I can't even remember what I did for New Year's last year, which probably means nothing. I'm pretty sure the bottle of champagne wasn't opened. But life took a turn on March 4th with the loss of Rod. A day I will never forget; a day that in some ways will always haunt me. No one can understand what that is like unless it has happened to them. This is the event that defined 2012 for me.

I don't remember when I moved past the tragedy. I was really angry for quite a few days, then one day I remember just feeling content, and finally I felt happy. Of course I still had days I struggled, but most days, I was just happy. And 2012 became a year I grew up, I took responsibility for my own happiness and I changed. 

As I come to the end of 2012, I believe that I am a completely different person than I was at the end of 2011. I am happier. I am confident. I am healthy. I have amazing friends. And most importantly, I like myself again, which I haven't in quite a few years, sadly. So although 2012 started off tragic, it's ending bright and I'm ready to see what 2013 has in store for me.

Which brings me to a few resolutions. I haven't made New Year resolutions for awhile believing that most people who make resolutions forget about them by March. But I feel that this year I need to make them. So here are my resolutions for 2013 ...

Be in love. 
This isn't necessarily about finding someone to be in love with, although finding a partner and falling in love is something that I hope happens soon, but it's also about being in love with my life and my choices and loving myself for me. 

Take risks. 
I've lived an incredibly safe life. This year I want to take risks. Whether it's moving away to a new place, traveling or even small risks like taking cooking classes, I want to challenge myself. Move out of my rut and explore new possibilities. 

Continue being healthy.
In 2013, I want to continue eating healthy, working out and maintain this weight loss. I worked too hard to let myself go again!

Live a happy life.
Above all, I just want to continue to be happy. I am in charge of my own happiness and I will continue to work on it and find happiness in every day.

Enjoy the last day of 2012 and I will see you again in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment