Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remembering 9/11

Today is the 11 year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. I remember exactly where I was on that day. I was 20 years old, in college at St. Cloud State University and at that moment in my apartment alone; my roommate had already left for the day. I turned on the TV while eating breakfast and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I remember turning the TV on shortly before the second plane hit. I remember the sound of the voices from the reporters as that second plane hit and the sheer terror and panic that ensued. I couldn't take my eyes off it as tears streamed down my face.

Classes were canceled that day, but I went to campus anyway. As a way to be around other people, and watch the footage with others rather than feeling alone. Everyone was in disbelief. And no one could stop watching. 

I remember going out the next few days and purchasing newspapers and a Time magazine. To this day, I still have those. They sit in my keepsake trunk and I thought one day, if I ever had kids, I would show them the stories, the pictures, the awe of seeing all the heroes emerge.

I would like to take today to remember and honor those affected by the attacks on 9/11. My heart goes out to all the victims and their families. And a huge thank you to all the heroes who sacrificed their lives that day. 


Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment