Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Homemade Chicken Burrito Bowl

I've been craving Chipotle for a long time. I've wanted one of their delicious, way too huge for one person chicken burritos or a chicken burrito bowl. I haven't tasted one of their burrito bowls before, but I figured it would taste pretty good. How could it not?? But then I looked at the calories on those things. A chicken burrito bowl has over 600 calories. A chicken burrito has like a 1,000 calories. CRAZY!! So, I did what a healthy person should do and made a burrito bowl at home.


I don't know why I've never made one of these before. They're not hard to make and taste super delicious. And also, they're very filling! The best part, in my opinion, is that you can alter the recipe to your own tastes and what you have available. 

Here is how I did it using this recipe as a guide ...

The Rice:
1/4 cup long grain white rice
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth 
Fresh squeezed lime juice (about 1/4th of a lime's worth)
Chopped Cilantro
1 tsp butter (I used light made with canola oil butter)
Salt

Cook rice according to package's directions using the chicken broth in place of the water. Once cooked, squeeze in the lime juice, add fresh cilantro, the teaspoon of butter and salt, and mix together.

The Beans:
1/4 cup black beans canned, rinsed and drained
Splash of chicken broth
Sprinkle of cumin, chili powder, oregano and cayenne pepper

Stir together and heat in microwave.

The Chicken:
2 oz. chicken breast (I cooked a 4 oz. chicken breast, but only ended up using half)
Season with cumin, chili powder, oregano and garlic salt

In a skillet, cook the seasoned chicken, then cut into bite sized pieces.

The Pico de Gallo:
1/2 tomato chopped
1/2 jalapeno chopped
1 garlic clove, finely minced
Sprinkle of chopped cilantro
Chopped onion to taste
Salt & pepper
Juice of 1/4 lime

Mix all ingredients together.

The Burrito Bowl:
Layer all ingredients together in a bowl - rice, beans, chicken and pico de gallo. Top with other fresh vegetables and/ or cheese. Mix together and enjoy!

Since sweet corn is in season, I added some fresh corn to mine along with about an once of shredded cheese. Next time I might try avocado as well.

When I put the ingredients in my calorie counting app, I got 401 calories with everything including the corn and cheese. If you add more beans or chicken, or top it off with sour cream, obviously your calorie count will go up. But I like this 400 calorie version! I thought it was a good amount of each ingredient. Next time I'll aim for a little more spice in the pico though since I like my food a little more spicy. I know I could make it healthier by substituting brown rice for the white rice and I might try that next time, but otherwise I think it's a pretty healthy meal. 

Until next time~

1 comment:

  1. You could also substitute Quinoa for the Rice (more protein and better than just Brown rice) You basically cook the quinoa like rice.

    ReplyDelete