Monday, May 7, 2012

Treating Myself

Last Friday marked two months since my beloved husband passed away. I tried so hard to be positive and upbeat all day; to now dwell on the sadness of what the 4th of every month now means to me. I decided to get out of the house for awhile and do a little shopping

I talked with my mother-in-law shortly before leaving the house. She made me promise to buy myself something while I was out and not just pick up necessities. This is not the first time that someone has told me to treat myself to something nice over these past couple of months; my mom constantly is telling me this. I go out with good intentions, but in the end always put the shirt or shoes down before I get to the checkout lane. I only buy something if it's on sale or if I need it. I live on a very carefully planned budget (very necessary when going from two incomes down to one!) and I don't have room to "treat myself." However, I figured this time I could do it. I would buy myself a new pair of shoes!

So, I go out and start my shopping day. I buy dog treats, coffee, groceries, etc. I go to Ulta and spend $5 on some delicious smelling body lotion. Which I think qualifies as a necessity and a treat! I then go to DSW for some shoe shopping. I try on a bunch of shoes and pick out a few I like. Then, before I go up to check out ... I PUT THEM BACK! I couldn't justify spending the money. Not when Lucky needs to go to the vet. Mother's Day is coming up. The dogs need more food. Too many other expenses kept running through my head that I just couldn't do it. I couldn't spend the money on just me.

I did make one last stop though - to Pier 1. I saw this cute little pig online and saw that he was marked down on clearance. I couldn't resist. Even though he doesn't fit into my normal household decor, he made me smile. Does this count as treating myself??

He makes me smile every time I walk by him!

If I were able to treat myself right now, I think I would have to buy this tech case from Coach. It would be perfect for days when I don't want to carry a purse. And it's so pretty!
www.coach.com

In the end, I know I probably won't end up buying the Coach case. I just wish I could stop those voices running through my head telling me to not spend money on myself. At least just long enough to buy one pretty thing that isn't for my house, for my dogs or a necessity.

2 comments:

  1. Buy the coach case!!!! Its pretty, its not a necessity, but its awesome and you deserve it! DO IT! I am like you, other things first then treat yourself. You do deserve this Kristine! Buy that pretty case! There will be another little voice in your ear saying buy it. Mine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pig is adorable but you should spoil yourself! life's no fun without a little bit of a splurge every once in a while! maybe you should use your piggy bank for it! put all your change in at the end of every day or week and when you feel you need a pick-me-up use the money inside! even just a nail polish or a fancy ice cream can be exciting!

    ReplyDelete