Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Healthier Me

I was at my best weight over five and a half years ago; right before I got married. For the whole year before, I worked hard at losing weight with Weight Watchers and at home workout videos. I wanted to look amazing in my wedding dress, and that day, I felt amazing. 

But then, life happened. We had so many downs these last few five years that I just stopped caring about keeping a healthier weight. I indulged too much on ice cream and baked goods that helped me feel better about how much life hurt. My weight would just fluctuate constantly.

Since moving to my new home, I've been a little better. I took the dogs on daily walks, even joined a gym for awhile, but I didn't change my eating habits. I would rarely eat five fruits and veggies a day, and would enjoy ice cream or cookies every night. 

After Rod passed, I got a wake up call in a way. He died of a heart attack, and maybe it could have been something we could have avoided. Maybe not since he was diabetic and had other health issues, but it really hit me that my eating habits had to change. I want to lose weight and feel healthier, and not worry about my heart as well.

I'm now on this journey to be healthier. Right now it's consuming me ... looking up healthy recipes, new exercises to try and tracking everything I eat. I think it's because I couldn't control what happened to Rod, but I can control how I live my life now. 

So how have I changed? I start my day out with a low sugar cereal rather than Lucky Charms. I try to eat a salad every day for lunch, or an egg with lots of veggies on the side. My snacks are fruit or yogurt. I have a vegetable with dinner every day. No fried food. I don't drink any soda ... not even my favorite root beer! I also workout six days a week with a mixture of cardio and weights.

This journey is already making me feel better. I feel more energized. I don't need as much coffee to get going in the morning. And although I haven't lost much weight yet, I feel lighter. I even got to buy a smaller size shirt yesterday when I went to pick up a few t-shirts since mine were looking too big! Although I do wish the weight would drop off faster (my goal is to lose 30 pounds), I am happy that I'm starting to feel better about myself.

And no worries, I will still enjoy my ice cream or cookies ... just a few times a month rather than nightly!

No comments:

Post a Comment