Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Story of Us

I planned to have a lifetime with Rod, but my lifetime with him was short ... too short to really be called a lifetime. Much shorter than the lifetime I expected. As I look back on our life together, I know that it is a life I will never forget.

I met Rod in the spring of 2004. He charmed me with all of his corny jokes, his sarcasm, and he finally convinced me to start dating. Then, on February 15, 2005, he asked me to marry him. I of course said yes, and on July 15, 2006 we got married in a beautiful and joyous ceremony. The most perfect and best day of my life.

Over these last few years we have had many ups and many, many struggles. Through it all, Rod's mantra was "we'll figure it out together." He has always been the calm in my sea of stress and worry. And somehow, we always figured it out. We made it through our struggles. These last couple of years have been the best of our life - we both are very happy in our jobs, have reconnected with old friends, and found a house that we made into our home. The first place I have felt like it was home in long time. A home that is filled with love, laughter, two crazy dogs and, of course, many, many NASCAR die cast cars. 

Just as we were starting to make plans for the next part of our life, God stepped in with a different plan. And on March 4th, 2012 I lost my husband. My best friend. My love.

As I look back over the last seven and a half years of our life together, I know that although it was short, I was given a great love. I have been able to share my life with an amazing partner. Rod is my love, and somehow I will figure it out and learn to live without him by my side, but will know he is always in my heart.

3 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! I don't know you that well Kristine, and I just want to say that you are a very strong woman! If you ever need anything or just someone to talk to, I am here. I pray for God to continue giving you strength and to surround you with love!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris,
    I am so glad that you were able to have such a strong and joyous love with Rod. May his influence as your rock in a storm stay with you throughout your life. You knew him long enough to know what he would say in a given situation. Just like that country song, you'll hear his voice in your head, and know you're on a good path, or not.
    Love,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristine,
    I pray for strength, peace and the will to keep moving forward and know whoever knew Rod will be forever touched by his kind and gentle spirit. You have showed amazing grace through this time and I'm in awe of that. You will always have friends and loved one who surround you with love. If there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate, ever. May God wrap you in his arms and show you the way, step by step.

    Bobbi Quast

    ReplyDelete