Monday, March 26, 2012

Hiding from a Mouse

Today I am really struggling. Struggling to feel normal, to feel happy, to get things done. I just feel sad. However, I feel like I want to talk about Rod and remember our life together rather than focus on the sadness that has taken over my life. Here is a story of how Rod helped me in the beginning of our relationship ...

Shortly after Rod and I started dating, I had what I would call a traumatic experience (or at least at that time). I was living in this super crappy house that I had rented and winter was just around the corner. Well, rodents and other gross things like to find warm places to live for the coming winter and my house seemed like a good home to a few mice. I had a cat, but she was declawed and didn't find too much interest in chasing the mice away. 

The first time I noticed the mouse that had taken up residence in my bedroom was in the middle of the night. I freaked out and ran into the living room. Then, a mouse started crawling up the couch where I was sitting. I started to scream, grabbed my cat and my phone and left the house. 

It was pretty chilly outside since it was only about 4 or 5 a.m. so I couldn't just sit outside. I hid inside my car and called Rod. He is a pretty heavy sleeper, but he eventually woke up to my incessant calls. I was hysterical. I'm pretty sure he laughed at me when he could finally understand that I had mice in my house. However, he did come over right away to rescue me. And he didn't even make fun of me! He just gave me a great big hug and told me he'd take care of it.

He went into the house and packed up some of my stuff for me so I didn't have to go back in there. I remember yelling at him to grab my contacts and pajamas, and don't forget cat food because I was too afraid to go back into the house. He was so nice to pack up my stuff and let me stay at his house! 

To this day, I am still terrified of mice. I have gotten to the point where I don't scream and lock myself in my car, but Rod always was the one that had to find them and trap them. Thank goodness we haven't had any mice inside of our home now!

I love that from the beginning Rod took care of me and was there to comfort me. He was great at telling me that things would be okay and he always gave the best hugs. I miss those hugs.

5 comments:

  1. I love you Kris, and I know it is hard to not have those hugs. I am far away, but know that I think of you everyday, and hug you in my heart. I know it's silly, but I hope that it helps to know that. Even if it only helps the size of a mouse foot.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am an excellent hugger, so if you're ever near La Crosse, give me a shout. Also, you can borrow Chloe for any mice you might find. She is an excellent hunter - she doesn't give up and the mice never win. She will sit and stare at the spot she last saw it all day if she has to; I have even caught her trying really hard not to fall asleep while staring it down. Dedication to the cause.

    **HUG**
    -m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky actually tried to chase a mouse at my parents' house a few weeks ago so maybe he'll be my mouse hunter if I ever need one!

      Delete
  3. Good story and best wishes, Kris. Take care...

    ReplyDelete