Monday, February 27, 2012

My Home: Living Room

I am OBSESSED with HGTV. I'm pretty sure my husband hates my obsession, because what that means is me getting ideas to re-do our house. I've gotten the bug to do many, many projects, and I thought I would share a little bit of our home updates with you. We do rent, and that means that many projects have to be little changes. Although I do have the bug to make bigger changes, I'm not sure it makes sense in the long run for us to make them in a house that doesn't belong to us. Even though I really, really, really want hardwood or wood laminate floors. And new countertops. And a kitchen back splash. (See, it's an addiction for me! I get started on one thing, and just want to keep going!) We were definitely blessed with finding amazing landlords who let us make some small changes to the house, and make it our home. (Along with a promise that I'll paint over anything they don't like when we move!) 

Our living room before was this weird peachy color that I hated. Okay, maybe not hated, but once I took the kitchen from red to gray, I really didn't like the peach color in the living room. In fact, it didn't even look peach until the red was gone! (You can see "before" shots in this post.) So, once we picked out new furniture, and before it got delivered, I painted the living room gray to match the kitchen. 
Same color to flow nicely since it's a small, open space.

I kept it fun with paining one wall a statement wall with stripes. Originally the TV was going to be centered on that wall, but with the placement of the furniture it just didn't work. Now, I'm struggling to make the decision to keep the stripes going to that little wall or just leave it as is.
Should I extend the stripes?

Our new furniture all has this pretty tufted look to it. Or as close to tufted as our budget would allow! And I love to accent with faux fur throws and pretty pillows.
Lamps, throw and pillows are from Pier 1. Couch, chair and ottoman from Ashley Furniture.

Our decor is pretty minimal now (as you can see by the big empty spot above our couch!), but I plan to add to it as I run across things that I love. I'm trying to stick with things that are white, silver or aqua blue.
 T is from Anthropologie, owl from Pier One, print is handmade from this template, deer antlers from my dad and I painted, and vase from West Elm.

Need to find the perfect artwork for that big, empty space!

We have beautiful bay windows at one end of the room and the next big project for me is to figure out how to hang curtains on them. I want curtains to help have a sense of privacy (important in a townhome community!), plus I think it would help the room seem more put together and complete. I've picked out curtains I like at West Elm, and now I'm saving up for them and searching for the best way to hang them.
Curtains are a definite must!

This mirror is one of my favorite things in the room. It's beautiful and I scored an awesome deal on it. I had the mirror hanging on the wall above the couch until one day it decided to fall off the wall and almost land on top of me. And it weighs about 1,000 pounds. So I decided it was best leaning against the wall! Which is why we have no artwork above our couch!
 I love the mirror against the stripes.

The living room is still definitely a work in progress. I'm learning that it doesn't have to look perfect right now, but that it reflects us - our style, and our way of living. I still have so much I want to add to it, and I'll keep adding as I find the perfect touches. And don't you think wood floors would look amazing in here?! 


Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment