Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Marshmallow Chocolate Cookies

I love cookies. They are one of my favorite things to bake, and one of my favorite sweets to snack on. I love them more than I love reality TV. And that's saying a lot since I'm pretty sure most of my shows on our DVR are a mixture of reality TV - Real Housewives, the Kardashians, Tori Spelling, and on and on. But given an ultimatum, I would choose cookies over reality TV.

The best part of cookies is finding new recipes. Moving away from the choices that I grew up with - chocolate chip, M&M, sugar cookies - and finding new tastes. Most of which are still at the core the same cookies I grew up with, but with more ingredients!

These cookies are based on a recipe I saw on Tasty Kitchen. The recipe is for Campfire Cookies (s'more cookies). I thought they looked good. However, I only like graham crackers in certain things - real s'mores, as a pie crush or with frosting smushed in the middle of two crackers. I am not a huge fan of crushed up graham crackers in my cookies. So, I redid these for my own tastes. I came up with a chocolate cookie with marshmallow creme, semi-sweet chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.

The result? Delicious cookies!! I wish I would have used more marshmallow creme though. You can barely taste it in some of the cookies. (Did you know I eat marshmallow creme by the spoonful? I love this stuff! I don't eat regular, plain marshmallows though. But the creme is the best!!) Another way I think I could get the marshmallow to stand out more is not mix it so well into the batter. Put that in last and kind of cut it in rather than stirring. But, for the first time making these, I am happy with them!!

Check out the original recipe here.
My changes: no graham cracker, I used over half a container of marshmallow creme and used both semi-sweet and white chocolate chips. I also suggest creaming the butter and sugar, then adding in the eggs and vanilla beating well before adding the flour/ cocoa mixture.

Just to warn you, these cookies stay very moist. We've had some rather warm weather here in Minnesota the last few days and the cookies are all sticking together. If you're going to bring them to a picnic or something I would suggest keeping them in the fridge prior to help with the sticking issue. They still taste good though even when they fall apart!

Enjoy! Until next time~

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy, it would be so yummy to bite into those and have all the marshmallow goodness ooze out. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete