Sunday, March 13, 2011

Paula Deen's Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies

Last week I had a day that has been bothering me all this week. It was a bad day with fake compliments, little digs at my lifestyle and even some pushing of my baby girl who luckily wasn't hurt. I don't think it's okay for someone to come into my home and insult it, where I choose to live and push my dog. I understand that suburban, townhome living isn't for everyone. But that doesn't mean you can go into someone's house and say "why would anyone want to live here? I don't understand why anyone would choose to live in a townhouse." Hmmm... well we did since you're in our house and maybe don't insult it because you're actually insulting us. And, if you think you can push my dog off her chair or hit her when she's jumping up on her chair, you have another thing coming and one thing I can't forget is someone hurting my dog, my baby.

In other words, I had a very stressful day that has been festering in my mind. So, in order to get my mind on something else and to relieve a little stress, I decided to bake. Baking does wonderful things for my stress level!

I knew I really wanted cookies. I recently made chocolate chip cookies so I knew I needed something different. This brought me to a picture I remembered seeing on Paula Deen's website for her Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies. They looked so good and had great reviews that I knew they were the perfect cookie. And lots of chocolate always makes me feel better!

These cookies are so, so good. I can't recommend them enough. I love the fact that it's just a few ingredients to make these heavenly cookies. They're so soft and chewy, and delicious. I'm looking forward to keeping this recipe around for a long time and making them many more times to try other cake flavors!! Try it. You won't be disappointed!

Oh, and if you happen to ever come visit me, please don't insult my home. I love living somewhere where I don't have to shovel snow or mow the lawn. I love having friendly neighbors that I can actually visit with and borrow a cup of sugar from (although I've never done this, I know I could!). And please, I'm begging you, do not push or hit my dog. Ever. If you don't do those things, you are welcome to come visit me!!

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
Makes 2 dozen cookies, original recipe found here
Ingredients:
8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
1 stick of butter at room temperature
1 egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 box moist chocolate cake mix (I used triple chocolate fudge, but any flavor would work)
Powdered Sugar for rolling in
Chocolate Stars for topping (completely optional and kind of unnecessary because they are THAT good!)

How To:
In a large bowl with your electric mixer or in your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
Beat in the egg.
Beat in the vanilla.
Beat in the cake mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl to make sure it's completely mixed.
Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours so the dough is easy to handle.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Roll the chilled dough into tablespoon sized balls. Roll the ball in the powdered sugar.
Place the sugar covered ball on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 12 minutes.
Remove from oven, apply chocolate stars if using, and let cool on pan for 2 minutes. Then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
The cookies will be soft and gooey. (Yum!)

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried a gooey butter cookie - but these look realllllly good! Love that they start with a cake mix. That means EASY!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete