Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fudge Oreo Cookies

Spring is being a tease here in Minnesota. For one week we had lovely weather in the 50s. All the snow melted. The dogs could go for long walks. My flip flops even made an appearance. However, it was very short lived. No sooner after we had gotten excited for spring the weather took a turn. We got six inches of snow and temps in the teens. The boots were back out and I was glad that I didn't put my winter jacket away. Temps have remained just around freezing for the past week so barely any of the snow has melted, and temps will get back to normal this weekend, but then fall back below freezing again next week. I feel like spring has forgotten us!


Mercedes though
has found a way to combat the cold. Just curl up in the sun and take a nap dreaming of warmer weather!










And although I would love to join her in nap time, I decided to warm up the house by trying a new cookie recipe. I
knew it was going to be good. It called for butter, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and crushed up Oreos. A cookie made from another cookie could only mean an even better cookie!

I found the recipe reading one of my new favorite blogs, How Sweet It Is. (Check ou
t the recipe here and read through her blog - it's great!) Her pictures of the dough were what got me. It looked so yummy I knew I had to make them right away. And I'm glad I did! The dough tasted so good I wanted to eat many spoonfuls. But, I managed to bake most of the dough with only a few small (relatively) spoonfuls of dough gone missing in my stomach.

Don't they just look delicious with those chunks of Oreos running through them? YUM! I highly recommend running out to the store today and buying Oreos to make these. You will not regret it! Just mix them up when no one else is home so they can't see you inhaling the dough!










Fudge Oreo Cookies

Original recipe by Jessica at How Sweet It Is

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet baking chunks)
1 cup crushed Oreos (I used almost half a package of Double Stuffed Oreos which is probably more than a cup!)

How To:
Cream butter and sugar well. Mix in the vanilla. Add the eggs and beat thoroughly until light and fluffy.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add slowly to the butter mixture and mix until well combined. Dough will get thick and sticky.
Gently mix in chocolate chips and crushed Oreos with spoon.
Refrigerate dough for at least two hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Drop dough by spoonfuls onto baking sheets lined with slipmats or parchment paper.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until set.
Let cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes then move to cooling rack to cool completely.

Make about 3 dozen delicious cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment