Thursday, February 3, 2011

Puppy Chow Cookies

Did you know some people have never heard of puppy chow for people before? Every time I post something on my Facebook page about puppy chow someone comments about how gross it is that I'm eating my dog's food. So, just to clarify, these cookies do not in way, shape or form, contain my dog's food. Nor do I ever put my dog's food in anything that I make for people to consume. You can now relax and learn how to make these amazing cookies!

I stumbled upon this recipe back in December when I was planning my holiday baking. I wish I could still find the link to them so I can give credit to the person with this awesome idea, but I only just printed out the recipe without the link. So, whoever you are who posted this recipe on the Tasty Kitchen site, thank you very much!

Puppy chow used to be (okay, it still is!) one of my favorite snacks. It's super easy to make. Typically you just melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and some butter together and pour it over Chex cereal. You stir it gently to completely cover the cereal, then dump powered sugar on top of the chocolate/ peanut butter gooey mess of cereal you just made. You then spread it out on wax paper to dry, and enjoy. Super easy, and very kid and party friendly. And if you put it in cookie form ... magic happens!

This recipe starts with your basic peanut butter cookie recipe. You can use your favorite homemade peanut butter cookie or even one of those store bought mixes. I made mine from scratch using a new recipe and I loved them from the beginning; this will now become my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe!

Then, you melt a bag of chocolate chips and a stick of butter. (No, this is not healthy. One of the reasons why I'm joining a gym!) Take a cooled cookie and dip it in the melted chocolate, then in a bowl of powdered sugar. I chose just to dip the tops of my cookies because the cookie itself tasted so good and I thought it would get lost with all the chocolate and powdered sugar. I believe the original recipe said to dunk the whole cookie, but I'll leave that up to you to decide!

Let the chocolate set on the cookies, then enjoy. That's all there is to it. A little bit more work than normal puppy chow, but so, so worth it. I could eat these cookies all day long! Not that I recommend it unless you're running on a treadmill at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment