Monday, August 9, 2010

More Cupcake Bites

My husband had a family reunion this past weekend, and my mother-in-law asked me to make cupcake bites. I happily said yes. I finally got all my kitchen stuff unpacked and tried out my new oven for the first time! Although I grumble about the work that goes into these, I love the end result. And they are actually fun to make too! If only I had a stool to sit on or a table to sit at so my feet wouldn't get so tired.

I made two 9-inch cakes so we could have a couple of different flavors. I made my husband's favorite, chocolate bana
na, and tried a new flavor, vanilla raspberry. I cheated and used box cake mix as my base. I used a chocolate fudge cake mix for the chocolate banana, added buttermilk in place of the water, two mashed up bananas and the eggs and oil. For the vanilla raspberry one, I started with a vanilla cake mix, crushed up and strained fresh raspberries for the raspberry juice, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. I mixed both of the cooled and crumbled cakes with cream cheese frosting. Since I was making cupcake bites, I filled a peanut butter cup candy mold with chocolate almond bark as the base, dropped in the cake ball, and dipped the finished bite into colored candy melts - yellow for banana and pink for raspberry. So cute!

Both taste extremely yummy, but I am partial to the vanilla raspberry. I can't wait to try the from scratch recipe I have saved in my files. I think that recipe will have an even stronger raspberry flavor. I was afraid to add too much juice thinking the cake batter would be too runny so it just has a subtle hint of raspberry.

I hope everyone enjoyed them at the reunion!

No comments:

Post a Comment