Monday, August 23, 2010

Happiness

As I approach the end of day three with an awful, horrible, knock me out cold, I thought I would write a post about something I'm not currently feeling, but wish I were ... happiness. (Seriously, who gets a cold mid-August when it's over 80 degrees outside every day and very humid??? I work from home, so it's not like I caught germs from one of my co-workers. I just don't understand this whole cold thing.) Happiness is the last thing on my mind (more like terribleness and sleepiness), but alas this is what this post is about ... being happy.

The last couple (few??) years my husband and I have been living with at his parents' house. They live there a few months out of the year, but otherwise live in Mesa, AZ (where there is no snow or freezing temps, lucky them!). Although I am incredibly grateful to them for helping us out when we needed it the most and helping us have a sense of security and will feel eternally indebted to them, I hated living there. It had nothing to do with the house or anything, but it's because the house is located in my hometown. A very small town in East Central Minnesota. A place I never wanted to return back to; I always dreamed of being far away from it. The last few years have been such a struggle for me, and happiness rarely was a feeling on my radar. I tried to make the best of it, and wasn't miserable by any means, but I kept dreaming of when we could escape the town and move on to better things for us.

Finally, this past spring, I told my husband we have no choice but to move. We had money saved up and a move was necessary. If I had to live there through another year, I would literally die. (Okay, maybe not literally, but I had to make it a threat!) And this threat worked; we started looking for a new place; our new home.

Although the story is much more complicated and long, we ended up finding our home in Ramsey; a north west suburb of the Twin Cities. I had never been here, but after looking at some townhomes and spending some time in the area, I loved it and was set on finding the perfect home. We lucked into finding a home right away that the moment I walked into it, it felt perfect. It felt like home. I was already envisioning how I would decorate it, how I would change the main colors of my kitchen to match the new red walls ... I knew I had to have it.

So, here we are. Almost a month later and we are all moved into this beautiful townhome. We have made this our home, and within the first week
I felt something that I hadn't felt in years ... happiness. I love it here. I feel not only happy, but also settled. I felt the weight of the last few years lifting off my shoulders, the depression and sadness lifting up, and even some of the worry that's been weighing me down lessen. I might never want to leave. Which, since we're renting right now, might make the owners very happy! Here's a peek into what has made me so happy ....

The outside:


The kitchen: (I had to redecorate. I used to have a
green kitchen accented with green, blue, pink and purple, and now it's red. But I love it with the decor and kitchen table! I'm using orange and yellow as my accent colors.)


The living room: (Also redecorated. We used to have the blue and green theme in the living room as well, but I wanted the kitchen and living room to flow into each other nicely since it's an open floor plan so I carried the red, orange and yellows into the living room. I moved my old decor into the bedroom.)


The bedroom: (The only thing I like about the queen size bed is how pretty it looks. I miss my king size bed so much!! We also have a walk-in closet that you can't see.)


The office: (This needs some work. I want to get a futon to add in case we ever get guests, and I have some pictures that need framing so it doesn't seem so white. This room also has a walk-in closet which is nice for storage.)


Mercedes has even found her new favorite place in front of the bay windows!



We also have two bathrooms, closets, an entry way, laundry area, lots of stairs and a garage, but I didn't think you needed to see those! I'm looking forward to finding the perfect vases, curtains and other things to finish up decorating, but right now I have all the basics and I think it looks great. I'm looking forward to living in my new home for at least the next year and hopefully beyond. I hope you enjoyed the peek!

P.S. I just want to send a shout-out to my in-laws for allowing us to live in their home for the last few years. Although it was a struggle for me to live in my hometown and having to return where I didn't want to, I enjoyed getting to know them more and having the chance to save up some money. I will never forget their kindness and generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment