Friday, August 27, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Last weekend I came down with an awful cold that I'm still fighting, but at the same time I hadn't lost my appetite and was craving something sweet and full of chocolate. I happened to remember reading through one of my favorite food blogs (Jamie at My Baking Addiction) and seeing a recipe for chocolate cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese frosting. They looked delicious. And I had cream cheese frosting left over from a previous baking project in my freezer so I figured I could handle just making the cupcakes in my cold haze.

And no worries, to not spread cold germs to my husband, I washed my hands about a hundred times throughout the baking process - any time I coughed, blew my nose or after any other gross cold thing I washed my hands. Just so we could all enjoy these cupcakes!

Luckily these cupcakes just happened to be a recipe where I pretty much had everything in stock so I could just start baking. As the cupcakes were baking I took the cream cheese frosting out of the freezer so it could thaw. The cupcakes themselves turned out beautifully. The recipe I used (link on the bottom of the post) said it made 12 cupcakes, but I made 15. However, as they started to bake I realized some of the cupcakes weren't as full so I guess I didn't fill up the liners full enough so I would say plan for only 12. I just filled those cupcakes in with extra frosting!


The cream cheese frosting recipe I used is not from this post. I previously had used the frosting for another recipe and only used half of it and froze the rest. The recipe is from
The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook, and I just added in the melted chocolate and whipped it back up. My frosting didn't look quite as pretty when piped, bu
t my guess is that's because Jamie adds shortening for that purpose and my recipe does not have shortening in it so it was pretty soft. However, it tasted delicious! Next time I'll probably try Jamie's recipe, but I needed a shortcut this time since about halfway through the baking process all I wanted to do was take a nap!

In the end, I love these cupcakes. I am finding I have a definite love for cream cheese frosting which I didn't know until this year. Before this year I've
never made it from scratch, and the canned cream cheese frosting is not comparable in taste! I learned not to judge cream cheese frosting until you make it from scratch! And I love the addition of the chocolate; I'm a chocoholic so it just takes an already delicious frosting to the next level for me! In fact, I could have just ate the frosting and forgot the cupcakes ... even though those were good too! The cake has a great chocolate flavor and seems pretty dense. The addition of the chocolate chips adds a nice crunch. Yum!


If you're in the mood for some chocolate on chocolate cupcakes I highly recommend these! I'll definitely be making them again, and hopefully next time I can make mine look as pretty as Jamie's, but at least they taste delectable!

Here's the link for the recipe:
http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/chocolate-chip-cupcakes-chocolate-cream-cheese-frosting/

No comments:

Post a Comment