Monday, July 5, 2010

July 4th Cupcakes

Fourth of July came and went, and I never posted pictures of my red, white and blue cupcakes. Here they are one day late ...

I just made a white cake, divided the batter into three bowls and dyed one red, one blue and kept the last one white with gel food coloring. I put a teaspoon of each color into the cupcake liners starting with the blue, then white and finally the red. After baking and cooling the cupcakes I took off the liners so everyone could see how fun they looked!

I topped the cupcakes with a buttercream icing. I used the Magnolia Bakery Buttercream recipe and added 1/2 a teaspoon
of raspberry extract to give it a slight raspberry flavor. Finally I decorated with sprinkles, and topped with cupcake toppers I made from downloading free toppers from Tweedle Dee Designs. So cute!!!



I really liked the buttercream. It's not too sweet, but I didn't use the whole amount of sugar called for in the recipe. There's many buttercreams I've tried that I haven't been fond of, but this one I'll probably use again. It's super simple, and tastes good. Here's the link to the yummy buttercream recipe: http://www.kitchenlink.com/cookbooks/2005/0743246616_4.html


Here's the link to the cupcake toppers: http://tweedleddesigns.blogspot.com/2010/05/free-printables-4th-of-july-party.html
(I realize you probably won't want these exact ones since it's after the 4th, but maybe they'll make new ones for next holiday! They have so many ideas I wish I would've found the site sooner so I could have made more fun things for the party.)

No comments:

Post a Comment