Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Delightful Dark Chocolate Cake

This chocolate cake is to die for ... delicious ... divine ... delectable ... delightful .... Okay, that's all the d words I can think of that make it sound super good! I made this dark chocolate cake for Father's Day. My dad loves chocolate and seems disappointed any time I make a dessert that doesn't include it so this time I went all out with a dark chocolate cake and chocolate frosting. I did sneak a little bit of non-chocolate in there by adding a raspberry buttercream filling. All the flavors together make one mouthwatering, appetizing cake! I topped it with candy coated chocolate sprinkles to give it that festive touch.

I used a chocolate cake recipe from Paula Deen's Best Desserts magazine. I also used the frosting recipe it called for except I cut it in half since I was only frosting the cake with it, not filling it. The cake recipe is called the Ultimate Dark Chocolate Cake, and the frosting is Rich Dark Chocolate Frosting. I can't seem to find it online, but I can send you the recipe if you want it, or break down and type it up if people want. It's one of the best cakes I've made!

The cake makes enough batter for three 9-inch rounds; I learned during this cake baking experience that my oven does NOT hold three 9-inch round cake pans! So I had to cook the cakes in two batches. Also, I tried something new with these cakes. I always have issues with cakes doming or cracking so I invested in some Magi-Cake Strips that promised an even cake. I think they worked. My two cakes that I made first with the strips turned out perfectly even, and the one I made last without the strip had a slight dome on top. They were worth the investment! (And when I say investment, I think they only cost $10 or something. Not expensive. You can probably even get them cheaper through eBay rather than where I bought them, at Williams Sonoma. It was a spur-of-the-moment purchase; I just had to have them along with sprinkles.)

The raspberry buttercream recipe came from Jamie at My Baking Addiction. She made some tempting raspberry lemon
cupcakes that I wanted, so I decided to try out the frosting first as the filling. Just to break up the chocolate a little bit. I loved this buttercream! It's out of this world good. I just wish I would have used a little bit more raspberries. When paired with three dark chocolate layers, the raspberry flavor gets lost a tad. Next time I'll add more raspberry extract. If you do decide to use it as a filling and not frost the whole cake, you only need to make half the recipe. Or even a third if you're only filling between two layers. Also, because the structure of the frosting wasn't a big deal since it was going between cake layers, I omitted the shortening and subbed butter. Mine wasn't as pink as Jamie's; maybe that's because I didn't use enough raspberries. However, it still turned out tasty!

I highly recommend trying this buttercream recipe if you're on the search for one. Here's the link for
the buttercream: http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/raspberry-lemon-cupcakes/

Such a pretty cake. I think I might have to go have a piece now!



No comments:

Post a Comment