Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chocolate Malt Brownies

I haven't made brownies in ages, and I happened upon a brownie recipe in Paula Deen's Best Desserts that made me want a brownie again. I used to make brownies all the time; my husband loves them probably more than any other baked good and I think I just grew sick of them. Plus, I always made them from a mix, never venturing a made from scratch version. But this recipe from Paula Deen drew me in with a thick chocolately brownie topped with chopped Whoppers. They just looked so good I had to try out the recipe!

I started to worry when I saw the recipe calls for unsweetened chocolate. Then I saw that I had to add a cup of brown sugar and a cup of white sugar, so I knew it would e
nd up being sweet enough! After mixing everything together, I loved the batter. (I know, I say that in pretty much every post! Eating the batter/ dough is my favorite part of baking!) However, I did think it was lacking something, so I added about 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract and that improved the taste for me. The batter was very thick so I spooned it into the pan and stuck it in the oven.

As you might have read, my oven and I don't always get along. It likes to burn things; I like to curse at it. We've found kind of a middle ground when it comes to most things, but it still likes to burn food every once in awhile. I kept a close eye on these brownies; checking them like a crazy person the whole 35 minutes they cooked! Luckily I was the only one home so no one could laugh at me. And, luckily for everyone else, the brownie
s didn't burn. The whole pan came out perfectly, even the edges.



Waiting until
the brownies cooled was torture. I was itching to try one! But I was a good girl and waited until they cooled completely ... okay, I might have a sneaked a taste in there! ... made the frosting, topped with the Whoppers then waited some more until they were set. The wait was worth it though - these brownies are scrumptious! If you like brownies and love chocolate, you'll love these! Now excuse me as I go and eat another one.



Chocolate Malt Brownies
Adapted from Paula Deen's Best Desserts

Ingredients for Brownies:
3/4 cup butter
6 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup malted milk powder (I used the chocolate version)
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (not in recipe, but I added)
1 cup Whoppers, chopped, plus extra for garnish

How To for Brownies:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 13x9-inch pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray.
In a small saucepan, combine butter and chocolate. Cook until melted and smooth stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl beat sugars, malted milk powder and eggs at medium speed until fluffy.
In a small bowl combine flour and salt. Gradually add to sugar mixture, beating until combined.
Add melted butter/chocolate mixture, beat until combined.
Stir in Whoppers.
Spoon batter into pan and bake for 23 to 27 minutes or until set. (Mine took 35 minutes!)
Let cool completely.


Ingredients for Frosting:
6 tbsp butter
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I used semi-sweet)
3 cups powdered sugar (I didn't use quite this much)
1/3 cup whole milk (I used 2%)

How To for Frosting:
In a medium saucepan, combine butter and chocolate. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until melted and smooth.
Remove from heat.
Whisk in sugar until combined.
Gradually add in milk until frosting reaches spreadable consistency.
Spread on cooled brownies, top with Whoppers, let set and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment