Saturday, May 22, 2010

Pumpkin Cupcakes

In the last couple of years I have discovered my love for pumpkin. I've always stayed away from pumpkin because I've never been a fan of traditional pumpkin pie. I figured that meant I just didn't like the taste of pumpkin. However, I realize now that it's just that I don't like traditional pumpkin pie. At least the ones the grocery stores sell. During Thanksgiving I make a pumpkin cheesecake pie that I love, and I also have a recipe for a Pumpkin Streusel Cake that is one of my favorite cakes. In other words, I like pumpkin!

I like to continue to explore my love of pumpkin flavored treats. This time around I decided to try to make Pumpkin Cupcakes. Because I love the pumpkin cake I make so much, I thought I would love pumpkin cupcakes just as much. I was imagining them topped with cream cheese frosting, and they would taste oh so delicious. I decided to find a different recipe to use than my go-to recipe for the cake, and I wish I hadn't. The cupcakes turned out to be okay, but not what I was imagining. The end result was a pumpkin bar taste rather than a cake taste. They tasted good, just now what I was going for; not as sweet as I was expecting.



My husband said they were good and we put them to a taste test. He brought half the batch into work and they were gobbled up instantly! Plus, we managed to finish all of the rest here at home, but next time I'm going to make them with my regular recipe. Hopefully that will be just what I'm looking for in the taste!

Also, I cheated with the frosting. I went to the store and bought everything to make cream cheese frosting. However, once I tasted the cupcakes, I didn't want to waste all my time making the frosting so I used good old Betty Crocker cream cheese frosting from a can. The horror! However, at least I could keep them out on the counter rather than in the fridge! But now what am I going to do with two things of cream cheese??



Here's the link to the recipe I used for the pumpkin cupcakes. A couple of notes: I substituted chocolate chips for the maple chips, and it says it makes 17 - 18 cupcakes, but I got 21.
http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/pumpkin-maple-chip-cupcakes/


1 comment:

  1. I really like pumpkin, but due to a pumpkin shortage last fall, it's a little hard to find right now. Try making your own pie - don't use nutmeg and don't use a store-bought crust. Both things ruin a perfectly good pie in my opinion. I also have a yummy muffin recipe and pumpkin bar recipe - and I know how the Minnesotans love their bars!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete