Sunday, May 16, 2010

Homemade Pudding and Candy Cups

I have never made homemade pudding. In fact, I haven't even thought of trying to make it before. I don't even know if I've tasted homemade pudding before in my life. I would guess so, but I'm not sure. Pudding comes pre-made in a plastic container that my husband eats constantly and loves, or else you just easily make it from a Jello mix. I figured the Jello mix was as good as pudding could get. But, I was wrong ...

For Mother's Day I wanted to make something special, but not cupcakes or cake. I just wanted to do a simple, but fun dessert. Something unexpected. I was watching a show on Food Network and they were making fun cups out of candy melts that started my idea. I thought the cups would be easy enough, but they're small so what to fill them with? Something I could make ahead and easily travel with so ice cream was out, and I had to make something that my grandpa could eat so mousse was out ... but, wait ... pudding is like mousse. Sounds easy enough, and everyone loves chocolate pudding. Homemade pudding it is, served in candy mold cups to fa
ncy it up.

First I made the chocolate cups a day ahead. I love these chocolate cups. I used the same chocolate I use to make cake bites, and used a pastry brush to brush it inside of a paper cupcake liner. First, I started with dabs of pink, then just used chocolate. I put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes, then did another coat of just the chocolate. I did two coats to guarantee they wouldn't break on the rough ride out to my parents' house! After the chocolate set, I peeled off the paper liner and then I had the perfect little cups for pudding!



Then came the pudding. I now know if I want pudding, I will make it by hand. Yum, yum, yummy! And relatively easy too! Jello pudding or pudding in a container will never compare to this pudding! I made it in the morning, let it set slightly, then piped it into the candy mold cups. I just w
anted it all to look a little fancy, even though it was pudding. But homemade pudding, not just Jello pudding! If you want the recipe for the pudding, send me a message because I definitely recommend trying homemade pudding some time!

When it came time to serve dessert, I topped each cup with some Cool Whip and a small candy heart. My mom got a special candy that said "Mom", and then I brought them out. It took everyone awhile to figure out the cup was edible, but after th
at I got rave reviews on the dessert. They all loved the pudding and thought the cups were fun. I'll definitely make this one again!



I apologize that the pictures aren't the greatest. My family doesn't understand this whole food blog thing and thought me taking pictures of my food was weird so I had to quick take a few pictures. I was hoping it would be okay to take pictures out there since I loved this dessert so much, but some people just have to have their chocolate RIGHT AWAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment