Sunday, May 9, 2010

Birthday Present Cake

Happy Birthday Grandpa!
My Grandpa had his birthday on May 5 and we celebrat
ed with a small party at my aunt's house. This is the first year my aunt asked me to make the cake. Usually one of my other aunts is always the cake maker. I was so excited to make his cake! I thought long and hard, and did lots of research to try to figure out what to make him. I didn't want to do a cake that looked like it was for a kid's birthday, but I also wanted to make a cake that would impress my family. I want to keep being asked to do desserts! I came up with a cake that looks like a present.

I really wanted to use fondant as I've been wanting to experiment with it after watching all those cake shows like my favorite Ace of Cakes, Amazing Wedding Cakes and Cake Boss. All of their cakes look amazing, and they're mostly done with fondant. However, I didn't want to do the whole cake in fondant since I had no idea what it tasted like, so I just thought I'd do the ribbon out of fondant. I bought the Wilton Rolled Fondant at Walmart, used about half of it,
put in a little vanilla flavoring and started to roll it out. I made a few strips for the ribbon, and also cut small strips to make the bow. I didn't think fondant really tasted like anything. I could taste the powdered sugar from rolling it out, but that's it. I want to try making my own some day since it can do such amazing stuff! The ribbon and bow look fantastic on the cake!



The cake itself is a Chocolate Fudge cake, with a buttercream-type frosting tinted leaf green. I like this frosting because it's made out of marshmallow fluff, butter, vanilla and powdered s
ugar. It doesn't taste super powder sugary like some buttercreams taste to me. Plus, it takes color really well, and spreads nice and evenly. The worst part is, I always use the wrong size bowl and get frosting everywhere ... on the floor, the counter, the wall, the toaster, my dog ... but, that's not new to me. I'm very messy when I bake. Isn't that normal?? Plus, my dog likes to taste what I'm making too!

The cake was a hit! Everyone at the party loved it, and I think I'll be asked to make dessert again! (I'm keeping my fingers crossed at least!) Everyone wanted to know what the ribbon was made out of and were impressed that it was edible. I think they all thought I used paper ribbon on the ca
ke at first! Most importantly, my Grandpa liked it and was happy that I made it for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment