Sunday, February 7, 2010

S'more Cupcakes

Reading through a recent Bakerella post, I saw a recipe for s'more cupcakes. They sounded oh so good and I knew I had to try them out. I love s'mores, and since it's hovering around 20 degrees (or colder) here in Minnesota I knew I wouldn't be outside sitting around a fire pit any time soon so I thought these would be the next best thing!

I used the recipe she laid out step-by-step to make the c
upcakes. As I was mixing the chocolate batter, I thought it seemed super duper thick, too thick. I decided to read through the comments to see if others had this issue, and I found out that the thickness was normal. However, I also saw that many people had issues with the cupcakes collapsing after removing from the oven. I started to get worried that this would happen to me since I have bad luck with baked goods more often than not! But, I thought of a plan ....

I started off with four cupcakes as a test. I layered the graham cracker batter first like Bakerella did.


Then, I skipped the graham cracker crum
b topping and marshmallow, and just spooned the chocolate next. I popped them in the oven at this point.


After five minutes, I took the cupcakes out a
nd topped them with three mini marshmallows and the graham cracker topping.


I stuck them back in the oven for about 12 minutes. They looked so awes
ome at this point! None of them fell, and they didn't stick to the pan so they were easy to remove. They were so pretty!


I went ahead and continued making the rest of the cupcakes. I got 12 more from the recipe. I did the steps exactly the same expecting the same results. Expect, I forgot to spray Pam on the top of the pan! I don't blame this for all that happened, but I do blame forgetting this step on the difficulty of removing the cupcakes!


After I took these cupcakes out of the oven, I started to notice that some of them were collapsing in the middle. Oh no! These weren't nearly as pretty as the first four! I don't know why these collapsed and the others didn't, but it was kinda disappointing.


I
finally got them all out of the pan after lots of tugging a
nd prying, and I thought overall they looked pretty good. I would guess about six or so collapsed right away. So less than half so those are okay odds! I wish I knew why this batch collapsed unlike the first four so I knew what to correct for next time. Hmmmm ....


The taste of these cupcakes is delicious!!! I decided against any kind of frosting since the tops looked so cool with the graham cracker crumbs. The top is nice and crunchy, and the bottom part of the cupcake is soft and mois
t. Yum, yum!! Check out Bakerella for the recipe if you're in the mood for some S'more Cupcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment