Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Disaster Birthday Cake

Let me start this post by stating that I had many great ideas for my husband's birthday cake. I debated between quite a few recipes I had found and finally decided on a cake I thought would be perfect. Little did I know the headache, frustration and some tears that this cake would bring me. My hands, my walls, my counters and even my sweater sleeve (I chose to wear white unwisely!) were covered in chocolate and marshmallow as I made this Disaster Cake (appropriately named I believe).

The cake started off nicely on Sunday afternoon. Out came three perfect layers of chocolately goodness. I used the Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Sheet Cake recipe that I used previously for cupcakes. The only thing I had to do wa
s slice off the edges that got a little crispy and the layers domed very little so I didn't worry about leveling them at all. I put the cakes in the fridge overnight so I could start the filling and frosting process the next day.


Monday around 11 a.m. I started working on the filling. My husband loves Hostess cupcakes and H
o Hos so I chose a marshmallow filling. After lots of beating with my electric mixer, I finally got a filling that resembled and tasted like marshmallow. It was yummy!


And then disaster struck. As I started layering the cake, the marshmallow seeped out of the layers, running down th
e sides. First the top layer slid off, then the next layer. I kept pushing them back together and marshmallow was everywhere! At this point, I thought it was very funny!



I had already mixed up the chocolate ganache fr
osting, but I didn't really know what to do. How could I frost this crazy marshmallow mess?! I started off by pouring the cooled ganache on the top of the cake thinking I could just frost the top of the cake and leave it with the marshmallow oozing out. It wouldn't look great, but it would be okay. However, the ganache wasn't cooled enough and it started dripping, in globs, on top of the marshmallow. It didn't look very tasty; not what I wanted to portray for this cake! This is where the frustration began. What could I do to save this cake? How could I save it from being a huge disaster no one wanted to eat? (Every picture I had at this point has been deleted so no one can see what the cake at it's biggest disaster stage looked like!)

I started carving the edges of the cake off (and taste testing the marshmallow chocolate yumminess!). Cutting the pieces where the globs of chocolate adhered to the marshmallow. I made more chocolate ganache frosting, and covered the cake in a thick layer of frosting. You can still see the marshmallow through some of the frosting, but at least the seeping had stopped!


By t
he time everyone arrived, the cake looked okay. The ganache had hardened and it was ready to be served. As I cut into the first slice I was happy to see that some of the marshmallow had stayed in between the layers so you could still at least somewhat taste the filling! And man, this disaster of cake was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment